Wednesday, April 22, 2015

my music and moves

I have discovered the trick to making me actually do things. Put them in my calendar! Who knew?! Is this an adult secret that I'm finally being let in on?? I found out that Lord Huron (one of my favorite bands) was playing in Salt Lake a few months ago and despite one specific hater who kept telling me that even though I was psyched about it that since I kept procrastinating buying tickets that it wasn't really going to happen, it did happen! And it was glorious. All because I put it in my calendar. (This had previously worked with me going to see Ira Glass which I can't believe I didn't tell you people about, but let's just say that it was a serious dream come true to get to see my future boss speak on stage like that. Hey Ira, if you are somehow reading this, please hire me to do something (anything). I think we could do great things together!)

(this wasn't at the concert, it was just last weekend. But I don't know, it just felt like it should be shared, right? And maybe it is sort of applicable? Photo by my dope friend Shane Pittson)

I love love love music (you know like many people do), but somehow I never really do get on top of things and go to concerts, so I haven't been to as many as most people expect I have. This is mostly because I usually hear about a concert, think "I should go to that!," and then never do anything about it. But, remember! Why not Wyoming. I'm not talking about doing things anymore, I am doing them.

Ok, so v brief concert recap. First of all, here is one of your new favorite artists, Leon Bridges. He opened the show, and he didn't tell much about himself, so I can only assume that he hoped in a time machine sometime during the late 50s and then popped out here in 2015 just to grace us with his soul music. Just listen and fall in love for yourself (don't just scroll past this and not click play like I know you want to, okay?):


Now, I have received some very difficult music news recently. One of my all time favorite bands, Noah and the Whale, has de-banded according to their FB page and Mumford and Sons has apparently decided to become an electronic band (what are you doing?! NO! stop that! make me more stuff like this please!). But, in a saving grace, Lord Huron has made a new album and it is beautiful and brilliant and has brought me so much joy. And hey, that also meant they were touring so that's of course cool with me. 


A very important thing when going to concerts is to never go with someone too much taller than you (cause when you are as short as me, you get to the first few rows or you look at a bunch of shoulders for the night) and to go with someone who is also in love with the band so that you aren't going hard by yourself. So thank you Zach Snow for being the absolute perfect concert buddy. I am embarrassed (and maybe proud of myself?) to report that I am that person at concerts that has a little bubble of space around her that she has created by wildly dancing around to the music. Sorry everyone! Hope you were having as much fan as I was!! But, Amy Poehler told me in her book Yes Please! that "if you can dance and be free and not embarrassed you can rule the world," and I don't know but I think that's pretty d*ng good advice. (Don't scroll past this music either! At least let it play in the background while you continue to jump around the internet. I just want you all to love all the things that I love!!)


Lord Huron, you put on a great show. Thanks for giving me tunes to dance to, and drive to, and work to, and whatnot, and for not crushing all of my hopes and dreams like some before mentioned bands have done. Now if only Lord Huron would let me be their Lady Huron, I think that would be really nice. What do you guys say? I promise I would be real fun on tour!




No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-47216223-1