Saturday, October 18, 2014

my first day

It's official, this girl is employed. No, seriously. I got a job.

I started my first ever "real" job this Wednesday as a writer for a health company in Salt Lake. It's quite the commute (hello two hours on a train every morning and evening), but I think I'm going to really like my new office. It's a great company, everyone there has been very welcoming, and I mean, I'm working as a writer in a city, how cool is that? 


On the left is my office building (I'm a little bit obsessed with it). On the right it my first day of work outfit... (excuse the mirror selfie--fashion blogging is clearly not what this is all about).


My first day may have been one of the most overwhelming and terrifying days of my life. We happened to have a ton of meetings that day, and I sat in every single one really wanting to contribute but having no idea what anyone was talking about. I also kept getting the question, "Where were you working before this?" Oh, what? You mean that you all aren't fresh out of college babies like me who have no idea what they are doing? The thought that I kept repeating to myself all day was everyone has had a first day. I just wanted to remind myself that even though I feel lost right now, that every single person in that office had been in my shoes before and hopefully they understood exactly what I was going through.

I know that it's going to be really hard being gone every day from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, and that I am going to spend a lot of time at work being swamped and overwhelmed, and I no longer get summer breaks or long holidays (enjoy those all you kids still in school), but as one of my friends reminded me on Thursday, not many people can say that they are doing something they love (writing) and actually getting to use their skills that they worked so hard in college (bye all you haters who asked me what I was going to with an English major). 


Mmm I do love my little walk from the TRAX to my office. SLC is beautiful on fall mornings!

Thank you to those who were so supportive in the job hunt process (especially my parents who let me play all summer). I couldn't be more grateful that I took the time and waited until I found the right position. There were a few times that I started questioning if my dream of being a writer was out of reach, but here I am. I feel amazingly blessed to have this opportunity, and I can't wait to see where it takes me.

peace. love. and employment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-47216223-1